The expedition to the camp, the mine and the concentrating plant “Dneprovskiy” at the Magadan region.
During this expedition in August 2014, the camp, the mine and the concentrating plant “Dneprovskiy” were filmed.
“Dneprovskiy” was created in summer 1941. Repressed under the Criminal Rule of the Soviet Union, prisoners were used as the main labor force to mine tin metal until 1955. Among them also were those who were illegally convicted under political prosecution, and then rehabilitated.
During the times the camp “Dneprovskiy”, the prisoners worked with picks, shovels, crow-bars, and wheelbarrows. However, the hardest parts of the manufacturing processes was automated through the equipment from the American firm “Danver”, imported to the USSR during the Second World War through Lend-lease. As the equipment was transported to other manufacturing facilities, it was not preserved at “Dneprovskiy”.
During the running of mine, it was divided into fishing and camp zones where the prisoners worked and lived. The zones were located higher than the settlements of civilians and engineers. The fragments of manufacturing and domestic buildings are preserved. In particular, there are houses in the traditional Russian style (“izba”) at villages, part of crushing plant, barbed wire, and lanterns at the camp zone.
On the top of the working zone, on the height more than 100 meters, there are several ditches from the mined ore depicting the hard work of the mining. One could see there watching towers helping to imagine the system of the guard forces. In this sense, the “Dneprovskiy” mine is one of the best-preserved industrial objects of the Kolyma camps and the GULAG of Kolyma, as well as it presents the monument of Stalin times.